September 4, 2015
Preventing Overdiagnosis 2015
I attended, and led a seminar at, the third annual Preventing Overdiagnosis conference in Washington, DC this week. My talk was on “The role of the media in preventing or promoting overdiagnosis.” My slides are now posted on SlideShare.
Role of the media in preventing or promoting overdiagnosis from Gary Schwitzer
HealthNewsReview.org contributors Alan Cassels, Dr. Susan Molchan and Dr. James Rickert were speakers or participants in the conference.
In coming weeks, we will publish audio podcast interviews with interesting people with different perspectives from the conference:
- Dr. Otis Brawley, chief medical and scientific officer, American Cancer Society
- Dr. Laura Esserman, surgeon and breast cancer oncology specialist, UC San Francisco
- Dr. Jean Silver-Isenstadt, executive director, the National Physicians Alliance
- Dr. John Yudkin, emeritis professor of medicine, University College, London
- Dr. Saurabh Jha, Assistant Professor of Radiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Dr. Teppo Järvinen, orthopedic surgeon, Finland
- Dr. James Rickert, president, Society for Patient Centered Orthopedics
The conference website will soon provide videos of keynote presentations and other video interviews with speakers and attendees. Check back to that website if you’re interested in learning more.
Meantime, see Bernadette Keefe’s Storify account of the conference.
Addendum on September 8: Allen Frances, MD, wrote on a Huffington Post blog, “My Summary of a Great Conference: ‘Preventing Overdiagnosis’ 2015.”